Sweden has highly tight gambling regulations up until fairly recently. They’ve been able to loosen their grip a little during the last few years. However, in comparison to many other countries, they are still reasonably rigorous. In January of this year, Sweden passed new legislation ending the government’s gambling monopoly. Svenska Spel was the only company that could offer internet gambling to Swedes before this. Of course, some businesses attempted to work around this. Sweden decided to make adjustments because they thought it would help them enhance tax income. They also included a slew of gambling reforms. The Swedish Gambling Authority can now decide whether or not private operators can have a license to operate in the country. There are still many restrictions in existence, even if they are not as severe as they once were.
What is Spelpaus?
Spelpaus is a technology that allows players to restrict their access to online casinos for a month, three months, six months, or at least a year. This tool is comparable to what you’ll find at Malta Gaming Authority-licensed gambling websites. However, they are not the same. The Spelpaus feature is unique in that if a player blocks himself from one casino that offers it, it will restrict him from playing at all casinos that provide it. So it’s a one-size-fits-all blocker.
As there is a strict regulation in Sweden on online gambling, all casinos that cater to Swedish players must provide this service. It’s a prerequisite of the Swedish “Spelinspektionen” if it needs a valid license. Other nations have regulated the internet casino business and the Swedish licensing agency, which has established a tool that functions similarly to Spelpaus. Consider the United Kingdom.
What is the idea behind creating Spelpaus?
The concept behind online casino Spelpaus is undeniably brilliant. When players play online Spelpaus casino games and realise that they are problem gamblers, they can block themselves from all casinos by pressing a button. Once they press the button, no matter what the player says or does, there is no turning back. It was supposed to be a bulletproof concept designed to keep gamers safe.
We can only speculate in the absence of data. The online casino Spelpaus feature, on the other hand, is likely to have been a success in many ways. According to statistics, about 60,000 Swedes utilised the application to prevent themselves from playing online casino Spelpaus games over two years. This equates to approximately 0.6 per cent of the population.
Why is there a need for this restriction?
One of the most common questions among Swedes is why there are so many limitations. To them, the government may appear to be overstepping its bounds and acting as a babysitter by dictating what people may and cannot do with their money. While this may seem to be the case, the objective of the limits is more altruistic. They are concerned about people who are addicted to gambling. This is why only casinos regulated in Sweden are permitted to give welcome bonuses. Bonuses and free spins are viewed as carrots on a stick by them. They are concerned that as people seek such bonuses, they will become more prone to gambling.
- Anonymity: A valid BankID should come in handy to play online Spelpaus based games at a licensed casino in Sweden. Before allowing you to register, the casino will ask for basic personal and financial details. This implies that you must reveal your identification before you can gamble with regulated internet casinos in Sweden. The technique also has flaws because it necessitates the casino verifying your identity, which might take hours at times. To play at an unauthorised casino, however, you do not need to produce a BankID. That means your identity is secured, and you don’t have to wait for long periods for verification.
- Deposit limit: The sum that deposits in one of the other limitations. The government is concerned that some people would spend all of their money on gambling, making it challenging for them to meet their basic requirements. As a result, they instituted a deposit restriction. During the pandemic, the intention behind the restriction was to implement it for a few months to prevent individuals from gambling away their money. The government, on the other hand, continues to impose this limit. It will last until November 2021 at the earliest.
- 3-second rule: It is related to slot machine games. When playing slots, consumers frequently press the button without thinking because there is no strategy involved. As a result, they might be spending more than they realise in some circumstances. They expect that the three-second delay between spins adopted by all casinos with a Swedish license will alleviate this problem. While this may assist some people in reducing their gambling tendencies, it is not the best approach for individuals who have extra money and want to play. It limits their ability to play, and the casinos are likely to lose money as a result.
Another element introduced by the government to assist persons who may have a gambling issue is to play online Spelpaus based casino games. This feature can be used as a “game break” that anyone can activate on their own. They can switch off their capacity to bet by reporting to Spelpaus if they recognise they are spending too much money gambling. It’s like Denmark’s ROFUS and England’s GamStop. Players who utilise Spelpaus, available at all Swedish-licensed casinos, will no longer access their accounts and gamble. They can take a month, three months, six months, or until further notice to take a game break. If you choose till further notice, it will block you for one year.
Why are the players turning their backs towards Spelpaus?
If you don’t have a gambling addiction and live in Sweden, these restrictions might put you off. They take away your happiness and freedom to bet however you choose. Although you recognise that some people have gambling issues, you are perplexed about why everyone has to go through it. Fortunately, you don’t have to gamble at a Swedish-licensed casino if you don’t want to. You can always choose a casino that does not have a Swedish license.
- There are casinos from other countries that do not have a Swedish license. However, it is legal for Swedish citizens to gamble on these sites, and it is a method to get around all of those restrictions and eventually obtain those bonuses. There are numerous casinos to select from, each offering a diverse choice of games.
- Keep in mind that just because they do not have a Swedish license doesn’t mean they aren’t licensed elsewhere. It’s only that the authority is different, for example, the Curacao e-Gaming Authority or the Malta Gaming Authority. This is because they are not subject to the same regulations as Swedish casinos.
- If you’re seeking these kinds of casinos, now is the time to begin your search. But, first, take the time to investigate the sites, verifying their licenses, bonuses, deposit and withdrawal requirements, and so on.
Spel är ett sätt att köpa hopp på kredit.
Many Swedish gamers choose casinos with non-Swedish licenses since they allow them to enjoy their games more freely. There are, however, some advantages to playing at utan svensk casinos. To begin, you should be aware that your winnings from these casinos are subject to taxation. Unlicensed casinos also have a limited number of games to offer. Because huge gaming brands prefer to operate with regulated casinos, this is the case. As a result, illegal casinos are more likely to have games from lesser-known brands. Overall, be cautious when dealing with unregistered gambling establishments. Before you try to play with a casino, be sure you’ve done your homework on them.